When to empty your kitchen bin
You’ll know it’s time to empty your bucket when the Food Grounds reach the green fill line. It usually takes a couple weeks for most households to fill their bin. You’ll get a reminder in the app and with a green pulsing light on the lid to check the fill line when your Food Grounds weigh 9 lbs or more, which usually means it's getting full. Please make sure that your Food Grounds are fully dry and cooled down before starting this process.
Assemble a prepaid box
- Push on the sides of the box to pop it open
- Hang the liner around the box flaps
Remove the bucket from your bin
- Lift the lid by hand - which keeps it open - and then flip up the bucket cover.
- Use the green bucket handle to pull the bucket out of the kitchen bin. Be careful, it might be heavy.
Pour Food Grounds into the prepaid box
- While holding firmly onto the green handle with one hand, use the other to tilt the bottom of the bucket to pour your Food Grounds into the prepaid box.
- Tip: you can loosen up your Food Grounds by starting a quick Dry & Grind cycle by double-tapping the lid button or “Start cycle” in the app and then canceling it a few minutes later.
- Don’t worry if not all the Food Grounds come out, or if there is some residue remaining on the inside of your bucket. It will work its way off over time.
- Push all the air out of the liner and seal it closed
Please note: A little bit of caking in the bucket is normal and not cause for concern. It will come off over time.
Store your Food Grounds until your box is full
Dry Food Grounds are shelf stable. We recommend storing them in a dry place indoors with the liner closed and air tight until your box is full and ready to send!
Return your bucket and clean your dust filter
Each time you return your bucket, give your dust filter a clean. You’ll find it on the left side of your kitchen bin when you lift the bucket cover.
If there is any debris on your filter, just wipe your fingers along its surface, the same way you would clean a dryer’s lint trap. Anything that comes off the filter can be placed into the bucket.